Thursday 20 September 2007

Why Bogle ain't going green

Being Green and Disabled is hard.

I would like to declare that I do not make a great effort to save the earth. Why are we bothering to increase humans’ time on the planet anyway? So we can continue to kill and abuse one and other? ‘It’s better to burn out than fade away’. I know what I have just said, in the current political climate (all puns intended), is comparable to admitting I eat babies for breakfast, but come on, most of the frenzy is a cynical attempt to get the public more engaged with politics.

However, when you are Disabled and are lucky enough to have a car, you are seduced into driving everywhere. Disabled parking spaces are on the rise, reduced costs on the M6 Toll and more options than ever for adapted vehicles.

Public transport has improved to for the Disabled traveling public but it can still be a major ordeal. Often the attitude of public transport workers do not live up to the shiny new ramps that are now being attached to the buses and taxis.

The little local shops with their nice local produce and their extremely low food miles, are often inaccessible. While the big evil dolphin-killing supermarkets are easy to get around and often provide wheelchair friendly trolleys and disabled loos. Shop assistants will even go round with people who require the service.

Also if you are anything like me its more than laziness that makes you leave your electrical items on standby. Its essential if I’m to float around my flat independently enjoying my leisure. Are we really meant to get up at 4am to turn off our charging powerchairs? Methinks not.

So I say let David Cameron and his unconvincing pedaling legs take the strain and to hell with this disabling planet of ours.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You get a reduced toll on the M6?

I want to kill the lying bastard that works for them that assured me I didn't and made me paid the full amount.

Philip. said...

Wishing you all the best for 2008 and a Happy New Year.

Philip
www.disabled-help.org